Jose Manuel Gonzalez – Meijome
Graduated with honors as an optometrist at the University of Santiago de Compostela in 1997. After a fellowship at CCLRU, University of New South Wales in Australia, joined the Universidade do Minho in Braga, Portugal where he is currently Full Professor and Dean of the School of Sciences.
Published more than 200 articles in indexed journals (WoS h=35).
Author or co-author of 3 books and 30 book chapters and has presented 450 communications including 160 lectures as invited speaker and keynote speaker in international scientific meetings in more than 40 countries.
Other Academic and Community roles:
- President/Dean of the School of Sciences since April 2021 till present.
- Editor in Chief for Journal of Optometry indexed in Pubmed Central, (Peer-review journal of the Spanish General Council of Optometry) since 2010 and member of the Editorial Board of Biomedical Research International and Academic Editor of PLOS ONE.
- President of the Educational Committee of the European Academy of Optometry and Optics,
- Member of the European Qualifications Board
- Evaluator of various research funding agencies in 4 countries,
- Ambassador for Portugal of the Society of Ocular Surface and Contact Lenses.
Awarded with the International Optometrist of the Year, Polythecnic Unviersity of Catalonia, Terrasa, Spain in 2016. In 2018 I was awarded the University of Minho Scientific Merit Award. Research and Innovation Essilor Award in Optics 2020.
Mentor of the winner team for the Best Business Idea in the contest IDEALAB – TecMinho, Technological Campus, Portugal in 2015. 1st Honorary member of the Galician Society of Clinical Optometry, Santiago de C. Spain.